Upper Thanlwin Hydropower Project (Mong Ton)

Picture1.png
mapmongton.jpg

Project Description
Upper Thanlwin Hydropower Project (Mong Ton) is located on the Thanlwin River in Mong Ton, Shan State, Myanmar, pproximately 120 kilometers away from Thailand - Myanmar’s border at Chiang Dao, Chiang Mai and 246 kilometers from Mae Sai, Chiang Rai. It has a total generating capacity of 3,000 MW (The generating capacity of the EGATi is of 900 MW). 90% of the electricity generated will then be sent to be sold to Thailand (EGAT to purchase), the other 10% to the Government of Myanmar without charge.

Chinese Consortium (CSC) (China) holds 56%, EGATi 30% Department of Hydropower Planning (DHPP) (Myanmar) 10%, and the International Group of Entrepreneurs Company (IGOEC) (Myanmar) 4% of the stocks.

The original project has a generating capacity of 7,000 MW, but after the Government of  Myanmar  considered  Feasibility  Study  Report,  the  Government  of  Myanmar  requests developers  to  revising  the  project  formulation  by  using  Cascade  Dams  platform  and reducing the height of the dam to reduce the impact on society and the environment.

mongton.png

The Progress of the Project

  • In June 15, 2015, Ministry of Energy (Thailand) and Ministry of Electric Power (MOEP, Myanmar) have sign MOU in Naypyidaw. Joint Working Committee (JWC) has been established under the MOU. The committee is the concrete attempt to drive the cooperation. This occasion is the 1st JWC meeting where EGATi has attended. Mong Ton project which is a project under the cooperation was an agenda in the meeting.
  • In March – May 2015, the consultant of Environmental Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) has arranged the public hearing conferences. Either government agencies or public sector which may be affected by the project development have participated in the conference. The series of conferences were conducted at several levels; in the scopes of village, town, province and state. The events were arranged in affected cities.
  • In September 2015, MOEP has approved FSR and gave some suggestions. They encouraged that dam should be designed on safety basis and developer should adopt the cascade dams platform rather than single dam platform to relief environment and social impacts. The revised project will be proposed to MOEP further.
  • In December 2015, ESIA’s consultant has finished the scoping report.
  • In December 2015, EGATi has attended the 2nd JWC meeting which was arranged in Bangkok.
mongton3.jpg
t3.jpg